Monday, January 9, 2012

The Wry smile of a Septagenerian

     Stephen Hawking is 70, has had motor neuron disease since he was 21, when he was told he only had 4 or 5 years to live.  More life in the old feller that in most of the people I see in my day to day world.  Happy Birthday Stephen.
     Yesterday, Sunday, at Best Buy when I was buying my new computer I couldn't help notice all the eReaders/Kindles laying around in prominent positions throughout the store.  How anyone could be think that reading a book on a small flat piece of silicon and call it a book is way beyond my ken.  A book  is a treasure, it has your skin cells embedded in each and every page as you leaf through, your coughs spatter the pages with your dna, and your  unique brand of   bucal flora and fauna.  You write notes, underline passages, make doodles, saying this book is mine, there are many copies, but this one is mine.  I may never read it again, I may loan it out, give it away, it may be stolen, but where ever it's life path leads it, it will always be mine.
     Pork tenderloin marinated in mustard topped with bacon, roasted over caraway scented sauerkraut. Mashed potatoes and parsnips  boiled in beef broth with half a head of garlic.  The Potatoes will soak up plenty of butter and will have absorbed much salt from the broth.  No I will admit to a little cheating.  I have really cheap packaged pork gravy that I'll doctor up, but the drippings from the roast will be absorbed by the kraut and I won't have any fond to make regular gravy.  Mea culpa, mea culpa.  One thing for sure, I be eating pork and kraut for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List